It was a bit tricky getting into the building, but Zay was nothing if not resourceful. The place was full of tuxes, evening gowns, clinking jewellery and servers carrying around trays with glasses of champagne. He actually recognised some of the faces from other high society, movers and shakers events. He'd been to the wedding reception for that couple. The food had been terrible. He'd gone home and crossed the caterer off his list. He snagged a glass of his own and sipped it as he scoped the room. He didn't see Paul yet, but he would. In the meantime, he mingled. It was a bit too early to hit the buffet tables.

The noise level was increasing as the drinks flowed and Paul had to raise his voice above the din to deliver a sharp order for the platters to be refilled. One of the part-timers was too sluggish for his liking and he made a mental note not to hire him for future events. Paul expected swift, efficient execution and sluggishness had no part to play in a caterer’s sometimes frenzied world.
Paul checked the spread as the platters were refreshed, and noticed with satisfaction that the spicy Vietnamese spring rolls – Bunny’s specialty - were going especially fast. His eyes swept over the crowd, subtly aiming to gauge if the amount of food prepared would be sufficient or would he have to do some quick juggling.

He did a double take as a familiar face stared at him from the corner of the room where the bar had been set up, right beside the huge potted palm. It took a split second before he placed the face: cute-ass! As he stared back at the young man, he thought he saw the lips curl into a smile. Wondering what connection this young man had with a crowd such as this, he casually walked over, seemingly to inspect the bar area.

Ok. He'd finally spied Paul, caught his eye and now Paul was here. Oh, he'd made it look like he had legitimate reasons to suddenly be in Zay's area. He was just too cute. Zay took another sip of his champagne and grinned.

"So, have you figured it out yet? I know it's bothering you. Where oh where have I seen that guy before? I'm Zaphod Paige by the way, or Zay to my friends and would-be friends." Zay gave him a wink.

Paul was a trifle startled to be addressed so directly; he had expected a little cat-and-mouse play, some level of flirtation at least, for he had worked out Zay’s game. Paul preferred a more refined approach and he was momentarily taken aback by the young man’s effrontery. He, however, managed to conceal his feelings behind an urbane smile and responded coolly.

“I haven’t had the pleasure, I believe, Mr Paige?” He looked Zay over, running his gaze appraisingly up and down his form, and was pleased to see a certain level of discomfiture jump in the blue-green eyes before him.

*Mr. Paige? Talk about having a stick up your ass*

“Zay. It's not that hard, try it. Zay."

The look was definitely saucy, and Paul felt nettled. “Are you a member of this club, er ... Zay?”
"I'm not a member as such, but I go to a lot of these functions. See that woman over there?" Zay waved to a striking, statuesque blonde, who blew him a kiss in return. "Lovely lady, married to a powerful real estate developer. She and her husband are both having an affair with his assistant, the busty redhead standing there in the too tight green dress. I could stand here and tell you stories until the cows come home.”

Paul stared at Zay, speechless.

But..." Zay paused and smiled at Paul. "I'm much more interested in hearing about you. This is gonna sound weird, and I won't blame you if you take off screaming, but I'm kind of a Ley Catering groupie. Or do caterers have groupies? I'm a big fan anyways. And I think you are as gorgeous as your food."

It took a few seconds for Paul to understand what Zay had said. “You mean you – gate-crash my catering functions?” He sounded incredulous.

"Uhm. Yes? But not just yours, well not at the beginning. But you have the best food, so I pretty much stick to you these days."

“Oh, well, thank you then – I guess.” Paul stammered.

Zay laughed. "You're welcome."

“Actually I am not sure if I should be thanking you or turning you over to my clients though ...” A twinkle crept into Paul eyes.

"Or maybe turning me over your knee?" Zay's eyes had a twinkle of their own.

Paul blinked at his audacity. Damn, but he IS cute.

"Are you stalking me?" Paul demanded.

"Well, some might see it like that. I mean, I'm crashing your functions, following you about and flirting with you, being a regular tart my friend Syd said. So yeah, you might say I'm stalking you. But not in a pyscho leave lots of notes, peep in your windows and go through your garbage sort of way. More in a “I think you're gorgeous, I'd like to get to know you and maybe jump your bones” kind of way. So, wanna go someplace a little more private and talk or something?"